Sunday, April 12, 2009

Fashion Fusion

My niece lives in Chicago and my brother, on his way from Florida to Pennsylvania, took a little detour to visit her. While he was there, they visited my niece's favorite vintage store, Fashion Fusion, and I got some vintage sewing patterns as a gift.

I like old sewing patterns. They're nice to collect because they don't take up a lot of space and are relatively inexpensive. I've used some of them to make clothing, but you have to be careful when you wear or sew vintage. You run the risk of looking like you are in costume, or maybe an extra in some period movie. But here are my prizes:


1. From the 1950's, we have a nice skirt pattern. You can bet there are several petticoats under those skirts. There are 3 yards of fabric in each skirt. I rather like the top shown with the yellow skirt, which is not included in the pattern. I could troll the vintage pattern websites for a pattern for a similar top, but where's the thrill of the chase?


2. Might as well get the embarrassing part out of the way. I confess: I knowingly bought this pattern in 1969, made the shorts, and WORE them. I made them in a cute little blue floral print with white rickrack on the suspenders. Very Tyrolean. I don't know if you can see in the picture, but someone wrote "no" with little zig zaggy arrows pointing to the knee socks worn with the yellow skort. Sound advice that I, in 1969, did not take.




3. This one is my favorite, a nice A line dress from 1970. I think I will make this one. Might need to do a little work on the armholes and I'd prefer the neckline to be a little looser, but this one is a keeper, a style still wearable 39 years later.


4. I am trying really hard not to squeal embarrassingly, but look at this one. I want to make this and wear it SO bad!! Don't you love the stand up collar on the jacket? With the cape, it is just too much. This groovy darling is from 1968 and the only thing stopping me from making this one is that I don't have a hat like that. I'm seeing it in red wool gabardine with the top stitching in red sewing silk. Black patent leather shoes and a purse. I'm there. I am so there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the mod outfit. Puts me in the mind of Grt. Brits sitcom-the Avengers.

DashingFabrics said...

That whole British 60's style thing was great. And Diana Rigg...well, what more needs to be said?