Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Pleasant Present



While Gladys was on vacation in Asheville, she went fabric shopping and brought back this reproduction pattern because it reminded her of me. See why we are friends? Although the glory days of me wearing anything that exposes that much skin is long gone, if they ever existed, I couldn't help weaving a fantasy or two around this dress.

Fantasy #1

The Dress is sky blue satin. I am wearing pearls, standing on the veranda of the chateau.

"No, Henri," I say, "it can't be. It just can't."

"But, darling........" he protests.

"No, Henri. I can't. I won't. Our time together was special, but it is over now. There is nothing more to discuss." I withdraw my hand from his. Henri begins to speak, but I silence him with a raised finger.

"No."

He turns to leave. I watch him without expression. I know he will rejoin the gala and soon there will be another candidate for Duchess. A soft breeze rises up from the Loire Valley and I wonder where it will send me next.

"Greece," I murmur to myself, "Greece." A villa on the Aegean, the perfect backdrop for my next adventure. I will begin packing in the morning...........


Fantasy #2

It is the annual Christmas party at my city house. There is music and dancing. The chandelier lights glint in the diamonds I am wearing with The Dress, this time in a smoky garnet velvet.

"Elise," the British ambassador says, "the Nazi storm cloud grows darker every day. You are the only one who can help us in this endeavor."

I laugh gaily. "Ambassador," I say, "do not be so serious. Surely we are being watched." I gesture to the Gauguin on the wall.

We drift over to the painting. Pointing to one of the figures in the painting, the British ambassador says, "So you will help us?"

I sip my champagne. Gazing at the painting, I remark, "At great personal risk to myself?"

"You are a resourceful woman," he responds.

"Surely you must know, ambassador, that the Germans have already approached me." My eyes lock on his.

"As surely as I know your family has not retained its great wealth over the centuries by picking one side over another," he replies.

"Then, ambassador," I laugh, taking his arm, "we understand one another. Do not contact me. I will make all contact. And now, I must rejoin my guests."

1 comment:

Stan Denski said...

Laura vs the Nazis.... what a concept! Conflict would arise from Dash's divided loyalties. In the end however I can see a scene where he chomps a Gestapo major where the sun don't shine allowing you to make your escape.

It was touch and go though because Himmler kept throwing the ball.